I wasn't kidding when I told you about slow cooker friendly recipes coming your way. It has taken up a permanent spot on my counter top; it's a comforting feeling when you know something is slowly simmering and the smell is gently starting to permeate throughout your house, because you know good food is on its way! For example, this slow cooker turkey chili. But before that, did you know chili or chili con carne (chili with meat) originated in Texas and is also the official dish of Texas? However, the Texas style chili is devoid of any beans which is something I am not able to get on board with yet therefore we are going to have turkey chili with beans, fire roasted tomatoes, and chili spice mix courtesy of Healthy Solutions Spice Blends. Here is an interesting post on beans vs. no beans if you are interested. Just like most slow cooker recipes, this one is extremely simple, straightforward and makes a delicious pot of turkey chili to get you through this Fall.
Normally, I make chili using store bought spice mixes or use spices from my pantry like in this chipotle turkey chili but when Healthy Solutions Spice Blends contacted me to see if I was interested in trying their spice blends, I jumped right on board. You may have noticed that I am not the biggest fan of giveaways/product reviews unless I really like the product so I had to share this Healthy Solutions Spice Blends because they offer all natural spice blends with no fillers or preservatives, no MSG, and many of their blends do not contain salt or sugar. They have different meat/poultry/spice rub/chili blends and you can find recipes on the back of spice packets as well as their website to help prepare a dish. They have also offered to give spice blends to one lucky Food, Pleasure, and Health reader(details below). If you are looking to add healthy spice mixes to your pantry, I highly recommend them and encourage you to read more about their products here.
The turkey chili recipe is only two steps, first brown the turkey (beef or chicken is fine too) then dump the remaining ingredients with the spice mix into your slow cooker for 8-10 hours.If you don't have a slow cooker (you need one!!!), you can also make this recipe on a stovetop by letting it simmer for 1.5-2 hours. It's that easy!! Make a big batch - enjoy it throughout the week - freeze some for later; however you decide to use it you will be glad you made it and will hopefully enjoy it with your loved ones this Fall/Winter.
Giveaway: One lucky winner (US only) will receive 4 sample spice blends of your choice from Healthy Solutions Spice Blends. I will pick a random winner next Wednesday!
To enter, just tell me if you like your chili with beans or no beans.
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 0.5 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1-15 oz. can organic fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles*
- 4-5 cups low sodium broth or water
- 1-15 oz kidney beans
- 0.5 packet Healthy Solutions Authentic Chili/Taco blend
- salt and more chipotle pepper per taste
- *instead of fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles - you can also use any diced tomatoes and a small can of green chiles separately.
- SLOW COOKER: In large skillet heat oil on medium-high heat. Brown meat until it is not longer pink and drain the excess liquid. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- STOVE TOP: In a large kettle, heat oil on medium-high heat. Brown meat until it is not longer pink and drain the excess liquid. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1-2 hours
I received complimentary Healthy Solutions Authentic Chili/Taco blend (and a couple other spice blends) but I was not compensated to write this post or develop the recipe. As always, all opinions are 100% mine.