Weeknight Family-Friendly Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs! They are easy, veggie-packed meatballs that can be served with pasta or used as meatball subs.
Before I start busting out all things pumpkin, I am gonna go ahead and share last zucchini recipe for the year. It was fun pickling zucchini & enjoying them in form of zucchini chocolate chip muffins among other things. I debated whether or not to share Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs because I am torn between two seasons. I made these Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs long time ago as a way to repurpose abundance of zucchini I had. Surprisingly, it turned out so good – easy vegetarian-friendly meatballs packed with veggies, I just could not not share it with you guys.
I say this every single year but I feel like this year went by so quick. I am probably feeling this way even more so with Fall-ish vibe everywhere, which means Halloween – Thanksgiving – Christmas – year 2017. Bam! I digress..let’s talk Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs. It starts off with shredded zucchini & potatoes – both of which are formed into balls with the help of binder (egg + crushed pretzels). Little nuggets are then pan-fried until they turn golden, a process very similar to Split Green Peas Falafel.
You probably can bake Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs instead of pan-frying them. If you try the baked version, I’d love to hear your experience.When possible, I like to healthify a recipe – by adding veggies, substituting whole-wheat alternative, or baking it..and it’s super gratifying when it turns out delicious. One thing I have learned through this journey is to “not healthify recipes too much” that it takes away the joy of eating delicious food. If you have a picky eater or if you are cooking for people who are used to traditional recipes – transition them slowly by making one subtle healthy change at a time rather than introducing too many new food at once.
I think Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs could be one of those recipes. It’s a quick weeknight family-friendly recipe that will hopefully please you & your family. I enjoyed it with whole-wheat thin spaghetti, store-bought marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. If pasta is not your thing, they will work great as a meatball sub, which is on my agenda next. [Tweet “Weeknight Family-Friendly Vegetarian Zucchini Meatballs! #meatlessmonday “]
Pretzel Crusted Zucchini Meatballs
Author: Dixya @Food, Pleasure, and Health
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup crushed pretzels (use GF if needed)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt, pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil for pan-frying
- In a large bowl, line a kitchen towel and add zucchini. Pull the sides and squeeze as much water as possible. Repeat the same process with potatoes.
- In the same bowl, combine shredded zucchini, potatoes with egg, crushed pretzel, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Form the mixture into small balls.
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium heat. Add zucchini meatballs to the skillet and allow it to pan-fry for 4-6 minutes on each sides until it becomes golden brown.
- Remove from the skillet and place it on a plate lined with paper towel.
Do you think if the year is going by tooo fast?