I saw the vegetarian version by Kiersten@ohmyveggies but since I am doing okay on issue 5 (meatless recipes) I made a few changes and added chicken. Feel free to substitute any meat, or veggies of your choice!
Open Faced Chicken Tacos: Baked Tostadas
about 4 ounce ground chicken
6 soft corn tortilla
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon shredded manchego cheese (I used this)
2 teaspoon taco seasoning (I used this)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (use less if you prefer less spicy)
1 tablespoon neutral oil
1 avocado sliced or chopped
1-2 lime/lemon, cut into halves
salt, pepper to taste
– Preheat the oven to broil.
– On a lined or sprayed baking sheet arrange tortillas and broil for few minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
– In a small skillet or a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook ground chicken until it is no longer pink. Add chopped onion, mixed in well followed by taco seasoning, garlic, chili powder and habanero seasoning. Continue cooking until the chicken is brown and cooked. Remove from heat and set aside. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
– Layer each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon chicken, 1 teaspoon chopped tomatoes, and sprinkle shredded cheese and broil for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
– Top it with avocado & squeeze lime juice before serving.
– Closely watch the tortillas while its broiling because they tend to burn quickly.
– I chose manchego cheese because I had some left from chilaquiles but feel free to use any other cheese of your choice.
– You can dress it up with shredded lettuce, sour cream, whipped guacamole and salsa for more taco-esque feel.