Entertain your guests with Huevos Rancheros, a popular Mexican breakfast from the comfort of your own kitchen! It’s easy, wholesome, delicious, and naturally gluten-free.
As promised earlier, I am keeping things Cinco de Mayo themed here presenting you today with Huevos Rancheros – rancher’s style eggs, a popular Mexican breakfast. I am pretty predictable when it comes to brunch as 99.99% of the time I order Mexican inspired dish like huevos rancheros, migas, or chilaquiles, all of which have tortillas, beans, eggs, salsa, and avocados in one form or the other. I don’t know exactly how traditional huevos rancheros is made because everyone does it differently…however, if you are into easy, homemade, wholesome brunch/breakfast/dinner – this recipe won’t disappoint. I
If you’ve never tried Huevos Rancheros, here’s how it’s typically assembled: corn tortilla is lightly fried and layered with refried beans (ps. easy, lard-free slowcooker refried beans), fried eggs, and topped with salsa (try: all purpose roasted salsa), cheese, avocados, and cilantro! What is it about brunch + eggs together? I think they naturally go together. Anyone else feel that way? I’d love to hear about your favorite brunch…
PS. Sunday is Mother’s Day and you should totally treat your mama with Huevos Rancheros..unless she has a sweet tooth, I’d recommend Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Waffles.
Author: Dixya @Food, Pleasure, and Health
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2-3 tablespoon oil for lightly frying tortillas
- 1/4 cups refried beans, slightly warmed
- 4 eggs
- about 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup panela cheese (you can use cojita or queso fresco)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- chopped radishes, cilantro,hot sauce optional for garnish
- Heat oil in small pan over medium heat and lightly fry tortillas until they get slightly puffy. Do it one at a time and place it on paper towel to soak up extra grease. In the same pan, fry eggs until white is set and yellow is just cooked.
- Layer each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of refried beans, top it with 1 egg, pour about 1-2 tablespoon of salsa. Garnish with avocado, crumble cheese on top, and other garnish and hot sauce as desired.
- Repeat with remaining tortilla and other ingredients.
Other Cinco de Mayo friendly recipes:
All Purpose Roasted Salsa
Mexican Style Grits