Enter the world of white pizza sauce with cauliflower, milk, and Parmesan cheese. I may never successfully make a cauliflower pizza crust but as for white sauce with cauliflower – nailed it.
For the pizza, I was very tempted to go roasted veggies route but that would have been a slight overkill with too many veggies (thinks boyfriend).. And apple smoke chicken sausage in pizza instantly cheers him. Hence, chicken sausage and Brussels sprouts it was (greens make it look pretty). But any toppings of your choice would work fine.
Pizza night isn’t that complicated after all; you can totally have a slice (or three) with healthy white sauce and unlimited toppings of your choice all the time!
Happy Pizza-ing Friends!
White Sauce Pizza with Sausage & Brussel Sprouts
what it took for 2 pizza lovers
For the white sauce:
(makes about 2.5 cups total and I used about 3/4 cups)
about 2 cups cauliflower, chopped into small pieces (1/2 cauliflower head)
2 cups 2% milk (or use milk of your choice)
3/4 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
3 garlic cloves, sliced
generous amount of pepper
1 dried red chili pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
oil or cooking spray (to cook toppings)
pinch of salt
For the crust:
I used this but feel free to use whatever you like
2 chicken sausage, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup part skim shredded Mozzarella cheese
–Get the dough ready so it has maximum time to rise (or thaw if frozen)
– In a medium saucepan, pour milk, cauliflower, garlic cloves and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes.
– Add cheese, peppers, and oregano and continue simmering until cauliflower softens up a little bit (additional 15 minutes).
– In the meanwhile, cook sausage in a little bit oil. Remove from heat and set aside.
– Saute Brussels sprouts in the remaining oil until it is wilted.
– Remove sauce from heat and once it cools down a little bit, blend it until its really smooth. Adjust salt and seasonings as necessary.
– In a pre-heated oven at 500F (or per your crust’s instructions), bake the crust until it is slightly browned (10-12 minutes).
– Remove from the oven then spread about 3/4 cup of sauce evenly on the crust.
– Arrange sausage, Brussels sprouts, and cheese then bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts completely.
– Slice, serve, enjoy.
On a scale of 1-10, where does your love for pizza stand?
Red sauce or White?
PS- I miss my pizza night partner.