Vegan, gluten-free, and freezer-friendly green curry mushroom soup is full of flavor and comes together in under an hour.
Fall officially starts tomorrow, which means we need to gear towards all things comfort food, pumpkin, and sweater dresses. Even though Fall is almost non-existent in Texas, it won’t stop me from celebrating it’s arrival naturally in the form of soup. I have a decent collection of soups already on this space but I don’t think one can have too many soup recipes, right? As I was brainstorming ideas for the recipe redux ‘s theme “Fantastic Freezer Meals” this month, I couldn’t think about anything but soups/stews, which is why I brought Green Curry Mushroom Soup to the party.
Earlier this week, I was at an Asian store and out of curiosity, I picked up some oyster mushrooms. It was my first time cooking it and it didn’t go very well (let’s say the stir fry turned into a rubbery mess). I had a whole other bag left and since I am not a big fan of wasting food, I figured the best way to utilize them is by turning them into a soup, which worked very well. Unlike other mushrooms, oyster mushrooms have a very strong, peculiar, almost meaty smell.
If you can’t find oyster mushrooms, I am sure any other types of mushroom or a combination of different mushrooms will work too. Green curry is not a new spice to most of us; I make this easy Thai green curry regularly with it. I used the same green curry paste in this soup to add a depth of flavor and to balance the meaty taste of mushroom. The resulting green curry mushroom soup is rich, flavorful, and creamy with very little chunks of mushroom as a nice surprise.
The smooth texture comes from broth (rather than dairy like in most creamy soups), which is a bonus because you can freeze it and enjoy later without having to worry about fat separating from the liquid. I hope you will enjoy this green curry mushroom soups as much as I did with some bread, side salad, or crackers!
I am all for meal planning and freezing meals ahead of time as it can be a lifesaver in terms of both health and money. If you are into that, I highly suggest you check the yellow split lentil daal, easy chicken kebab, and baked pasta cups.
Green Curry Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 lb oyster mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable (or any neutral oil)
- 2 teaspoon green curry paste (use more or less per need)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth + 1/4 cup for later
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat and fry onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add green curry paste, mushrooms and stir everything together for 5-8 minutes.
- Pour vegetable broth to the pot, add salt, and pepper and lower the heat and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes.The liquid reduces and mushroom will become very soft.
- Remove from heat, let it cool for little bit and puree everything until smooth. Add more broth if needed depending upon how thick or thin you would like your soup to be.
- Garnish it with scallions or red chili pepper.