...my obsession with cherry continues..first we saw cherry chia smoothie and now let’s talk some muffins. This past weekend I was organizing my highly unorganized pantry but quickly got distracted inspired by a lonely bag of dark chocolate chips screaming use me, use me! Well, I have a sweet spot for anything chocolate and using cherries with chocolate was very instinctual as they pair beautifully together like wine and cheese.. or at least I think so. The boyfriend not so much – he does not like cherries, or any fruits with chocolate..and that only means one thing – more sinfully delicious muffins for me.
“eating cherries or drinking cherry juice after a workout can speed up recovery,could help relieve pain more effectively than aspirin,
& prevent gout by reducing the blood level of uric acid”
Double Chocolate Cherry Muffin
Makes 22-24 muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoon flax meal + 9 tablespoon water (or use 3 large eggs)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
about 1/2 cup chocolate chips
– Preheat the oven to 350F.
– Mix flax meal with water and set aside.
– In a bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
– In another large bowl, whisk yogurt with sugar, then add flax meal and vanilla extract. Mix them until well combined.
– Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Fold in chopped cherries.
– Pour the batter in a regular lined muffin tin filling about 3/4. Then insert 2-3 dark chocolate chips individually to the batter.
– Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
– Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
– blueberries or cranberries can also be used to substitute cherries.
– highly recommend allowing muffins to cool completely in order prevent them from sticking to the liner.
– if inserting chocolate chips individually is a too much work, fold in chocolate chips along with cherries.
Bake Healthy. Indulge Occasionally. Share Always.
How are you enjoying cherries this season?
Cherries and chocolate or any other fruits, yes or no?