Crispy Baked Potato Chips are a healthier alternative to store-bought potato chips. They are super simple to make, and highly addictive!
Since I am going to Mexico on Friday, I am trying to clean out my fridge and use up everything possible. Read random meals for the next couple of days, which I am totally okay with because that means I will be eating Crispy Baked Potato Chips every single night. Not complaining at all..If you have not made Crispy Baked Potato Chips before you totally should. They are crispy, super easy to make, addictive, and it comes together in under an hour.
I was really hoping to make crispy vegetable chips with beets, parsnips, and potatoes for aforementioned random dinner but beets and parsnips failed miserably. If you have tried them successfully, I’d love to know your tricks. For me, those suckers either burnt too quickly or were not crispy at all. Potatoes on the other hand crisped up beautifully with only slight burnt edges which I like.
I made crispy potato chips couple of times before and here are some helpful notes to read before making Crispy Baked Potato Chips:
- Slice potatoes as thin as possible. I used my OXO spiralizer (as used in quick pickled zucchini ribbons); mandoline works too unless you have amazing knife skills.
- Soak sliced potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes to remove excess starch. Starch prevents moisture from escaping, which leaves more water in the potato. Doing so, it will help with crispiness.
- Pat potatoes dry and do not skip this process. You can use a cotton towel or paper towel to pat dry completely to remove the excess moisture.
- Do not over lap potatoes while baking. It will result in sticky and chewy fries.
- I have played around with oven temperature between 350F – 450F; 400F worked better for me as it resulted in more even Crispy Baked Potato Chips. Keep an eye closely and rotate potato chips around every 8-10 minutes.
If you are hosting a super bowl party, need a healthier alternative to potato chips, or something to snack on – these Crispy Baked Potato Chips are it. I hope you will love them as much as I do. I’d love to hear your feedback on instagram #foodpleasurehealth or leave a comment below.
Crispy Baked Potato Chips
Serves: 2-3 servings
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Slice potatoes using a spiralizer or mandoline into thin slices.
- Soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry completely using a cotton towel or paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange potato slices on a baking pan evenly without touching or overlapping each other. May need 2-3 batches depending on how big the baking pan is.
- Use a pastry brush to lightly grease potatoes slices with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Rotate potato slices and bake for additional 6-8 minutes or until crispy.
- Right before serving you can sprinkle with herbs and seasonings of your choice.
- Allow them to cool down for few minutes before devouring them.
I served Crispy Baked Potato Chips with leftover raita from Chicken Tikka Lettuce Wrap.
If you are into homemade snacks, you should check these out:
Easy Homemade Crackers
Roasted Almonds with Cocoa
Tandoori Roasted Chickpeas
3 Ingredient Protein Bites