and just like that my vacation is over. In case you are interested, I shared some pics here and here. After tending an annoying case of jet lag for almost 24 hours, I jumped right into grocery shopping and cooking because I wanted get back to regular rhythm of things. Also, partly because I missed eating veggies, hence the Cauliflower Rice Pilaf with Chickpeas. I think most of us are familiar with cauliflower rice; I have shared a version here and here if you need more inspiration.
Rice pilaf is one of those dishes that can have many variations, it’s an upgrade of regular rice with different herbs, spices, and nuts. Cauliflower Rice Pilaf with Chickpeas is not just a meatless, one pot dish but rather a complete package with veggies, protein, and spices. You can make your own cauliflower rice by pulsing cauliflower florets in the food processor until it resembles a like rice granule, or head over to Trader Joe’s or check out Cauli Rice (for UK-based readers) for pre-made version.
Cauliflower Rice Pilaf with Chickpeas doesn’t need much praising as it’s simple and delicious on it’s own. I wouldn’t skimp on cumin seeds as it adds a nice depth of flavor and they are good for digestion. Cruciferous veggies such as cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts and beans can cause gas and bloating in some individuals therefore, adding cumin seeds while cooking might help alleviate that problem.
I hope you will enjoy Cauliflower Rice Pilaf with Chickpeas as much as I did. If so, I’d love to hear @foodpleasurehealth on instagram!
Cauliflower Rice Pilaf with Chickpeas
Author: Dixya @Food, Pleasure, and Health
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion
- 1-16 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a large sautee pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry cumin seeds until brown and fragrant. Add onions and sautee until translucent.
- Add cauliflower rice to the pan and season it with turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt, pepper. Cook for 2 minutes then add chickpeas to the mix until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.