I haven’t been THIS excited about sharing a recipe in a long time, but you guys Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo) is everything you need in your life right now! Drop everything and go to the nearest store that carries tapioca flour (I got mine at whole foods but Asian stores carry it too) to make this gluten-free, cheesy, gooey bread in just 20 minutes. I am assuming you already have your favorite cheese in the refrigerator begging to be used (or is it just me who impulsively buys giant blocks of cheese and looks for every reasons to use it). Brazilian cheese bread was first introduced by my friend and I instantly fell in love with it. I think you will too. I have made Brazilian cheese bread a couple of times but since they are best straight out of the oven, I just didn’t have the patience to take photos until this weekend.
Unlike most breads, Brazilian cheese bread requires a blender, basic pantry ingredients, and a muffin tin. If I could, I would bake this bread for each and every one of you right now..because it’s that simple and I want you all to have a bite of this heavenly goodness.
You can use whatever shredded cheese you prefer; I have used mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar in the past but this time I used farmer cheese (remainder from this pizza and beet carpaccio).
Don’t panic if the batter looks runny, that’s how it is suppose to be. Although I saw another version made directly on a baking sheet. You can also use a mini-muffin tin if you’d like.
Just looking at these pictures, I want some more already..Like I said, they are perfect straight out of the oven (be careful the insides are extremely hot) but turns out they are great after reheating as well. Just pop them back in the oven for a few minutes and enjoy.
I hope you make these Brazilian cheese breads soon! Also, I’d love to know how you liked them.[Tweet “Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo) – #glutenfree cheesy goodness in just 20 minutes! “]
Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)
Serves: 8-10 regular size muffin or about 20 mini muffins
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1.5 cup milk (start with 1 cup and add more as needed)
- Scant 1 1/2 cups (170 grams) tapioca flour (tapioca starch)
- 1/2 cup packed (about 100 grams) grated cheese of your choice (I like the combination of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese)
- 1 heaping teaspoon sal
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease a muffin tin or mini muffin tin generously.
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. Add more milk if needed to get a smooth runny texture.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until all puffy and just lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for a few minutes.
Have you tried Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)?