Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers
Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers are crispy and made with few simple ingredients. They are naturally vegan and can be flavored with different seasonings and flavors.
I have been getting a lot of requests on 'healthy snack recipes' after I posted Rice Cake Toppings Ideas. It is back-to-school time which means parents and students will probably appreciate wholesome, easy "Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers" for all their snacking needs. I used my Easy Homemade Crackers recipe as a base but replaced semolina flour with oat flour because it is a common household ingredient + easily available. I am sharing three variations of oat crackers - sesame + flax seeds, spinach + cumin, and pumpkin + almond.
I have been reaching for crackers more than usual lately because I am so into cheese board. Store-bought crackers are convenient but it is hard to find wholesome/healthy crackers that actually taste good as well....and even when you do, they get expensive really fast. I am just happy that Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers just meets my criteria - easy, flexible, and full of good for you ingredients!
I have tested Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers recipe few times now and here are some important notes:
- Oat flour is naturally gluten-free which means you will need another flour with gluten to bind the ingredients together. I have other recipes with rice flour, gluten-free blend, or almond flour but I am using plain all purpose flour.
- It is a slightly tricky dough to work with but have patience, it does come together. You need to let the dough rest, add little water if it feels dry or flour if the dough feel crumbly or too wet.
- If using wet ingredients such as spinach puree, pumpkin puree, do not add water to the dough. Those ingredients are wet as it is so first knead the dough per instructions provided. Add water only if you feel it is a must.
- Roll crackers thin and use a spatula to transfer them into a baking sheet. Also, in the baking sheet, do not overlap them.
- Don’t get freaked out by the ingredient + instructions provided. It’s just a lot of little details but the overall process is fairly simple.
Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers are great for snacking with dips, nut butter, and as a part of your cheese board. I have been enjoying them the savory ones my homemade hummus & the pumpkin version is great with peanut butter.
I hope you will get on a Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers train and make a batch (or double it). If you have kids, this is a good recipe to get them excited in the kitchen. I went with a rustic look on my crackers but feel free to use a cookie cutter to get different shapes and sizes.
Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers
Author: Dixya @Food, Pleasure, and Health
Serves: 10-12 crackers
Base cracker recipe:
- 1 cup rolled oats, pulsed into flour
- 1/4-1/2 cup all purpose flour (need more for dusting, rolling later)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
for sesame + flax cracker:
- 2 tablespoon cup flax seed
- 2 tablespoon black sesame seed
for spinach + cumin cracker:
- do not add water
- 1/4 cup spinach puree (drain as much liquid as possible)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
for pumpkin + almond cracker:
- do not add water
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon chopped almond
- 1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- for base cracker recipe:
- In a medium bowl, add oat flour, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, olive oil, salt. Slowly mix in 1/4 cup water. Knead the dough and slowly add more water as needed until it forms into a soft ball. Add 2-3 tablespoon of flour as needed. Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
- for for sesame + flax crackers:
- Add flax seed and sesame seed to the mix. Follow the same instructions as above.
- for spinach + cumin cracker:
- In a medium bowl, add oat flour, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, spinach puree, olive oil, salt. Do not add water. Knead the dough and ad 2-3 tablespoon of flour as needed. Add water ONLY if you need it. Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
- for pumpkin + almond cracker:
- In a medium bowl, add oat flour, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, pumpkin puree, almond, olive oil, pumpkin pie spice. Do not add water. Knead the dough and ad 2-3 tablespoon of flour as needed. Add water ONLY if you need it. Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or use a silicon baking mat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and flatten the dough. Divide the dough into half.
- Sprinkle the dough with flour and slowly using a rolling pin to flatten it.
- Continue to roll until it is thin about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Use a sharp knife, pizza cutter, or a desired cookie cutter to cut different shapes.
- Use a spatula to transfer the cut crackers into a baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Baking time may vary depending on the thickness of your crackers so keep an close eye.
- While the first batch is baking, roll out and cut the remaining dough.
- Remove the baked crackers from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack completely.
- Store the crackers in an airtight container on the counter for 3-5 days.
For spinach puree: boil a large handful of baby spinach. Drain and reserve the water for soups/stews. Puree the spinach in a blender or food processor.[br]-Each recipe yields 10-12 long rectangular crackers.
Oat is probably one of my favorite pantry staples; I have listed them as my 10 Healthy Pantry Essentials and enjoy them in one form or another daily via overnight oat popsicles, breakfast cookies, or savory porridge. It's a really versatile and easily accessible/affordable ingredient with lots of nutrients. Beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber found in oat has shown to help reduce cholesterol (LDL and total cholesterol levels), help with blood sugar management, increase satiety and possibly help promote the growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract.
I have been using Farmer Direct's oats for about a year now and it's good knowing that 100% Farmer-Owned • 100% fairDeal • 100% Organic Business! I hope you will support them too; they are found at Whole Foods and some participating retailers in Western Canada and throughout the United States.
Homemade Vegan Oat Crackers brought to you in partnership with Farmer Direct. Thank you for the support!