Cauliflower Hummus Bites
Cauliflower Hummus Bites are easy, healthy, and tailgate-friendly; it combines cauliflower and hummus into one delicious appetizer! Blogging has brought so many friendships, exciting opportunities and free food, today it's in the form of hummus. Sabra sent me coupons as a part of "Tailgating Recipe ReDux Challenge" which I am super excited about. Most days, I make my own hummus because it's extremely simple but let's be real here. Sometimes it's just convenient to grab the pre-made stuff and call it a day. Since Sabra is the Official Dips Sponsor of the NFL, they have invited Recipe ReDux Members to reinvent a delicious game day grub recipe using any flavor of Sabra hummus. I am contributing Cauliflower Hummus Bites to this tailgating party by using their Supremely Spicy Hummus. I am sharing a tailgating friendly recipe today but let me tell you how I feel about sports, particularly football. I didn't grow up watching it, I don't care a bit, and I don't have a team except sometimes I go along with Roll Tide...because boyfriend! I feel exactly the opposite about the food though, love it even more if it's in the form of finger-food. Cauliflower Hummus Bites are definitely one of those recipes; you should have them on your repertoire because you are basically eating vegetables and hummus together, except that they are cute, crispy and full of flavors!It's a fairly simple recipe with very minimal ingredients because mostly all the flavors come from hummus, while steamed/chopped cauliflower gives some bite and bread crumbs help keep things crispy. Just roll, bake, and enjoy! I tried two versions of Cauliflower Hummus Bites with and without eggs to keep things vegan-friendly. I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the two but the batch with eggs did seem to hold together slightly better. While eggs might help a little, it is also important to tightly roll them before coating it with bread crumbs. Whatever your stance may be about sports, I hope that you love tailgate friendly foods and will give Cauliflower Hummus Bites a try. They also makes a great appetizer/snack for any other occasions for both adults and kids (just use a milder hummus) and it's a great way of getting your veggies without even realizing it.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Supreme Spicy Hummus (or can use other flavors)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg (to keep vegan, may skip)
- 1.5 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- Cut cauliflower into florets and steam it until tender but not mushy.
- Chop them into fine pieces and squeeze out as much water as you can. Medium cauliflower head should yield about 2 heaping cups steamed, chopped cauliflower.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a pan with parchment paper or spray some nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, onions, garlic powder, hummus, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, pour bread crumbs.
- Take about 1.5 tablespoon mixture and shape them tightly into balls or oblong rolls.
- Roll them into bread crumbs and place on the baking sheet.
- Continue the same process with the remaining mixture and bake for 18-20 minutes until it gets crispy and slightly brown.
- Can be served hot, room temperature or can be reheated for later use.
“By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra Dipping Co. LLC, and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”