Homemade Pumpkin Puree + Pumpkin Recipe Roundup
But after seeing so many pumpkin recipes floating around the blogosphere I opted to make homemade pumpkin puree because I did my first Jack O' Lantern last year and wanted to try making homemade pumpkin puree this year.
I read that carving pumpkin (the ones I used for carving) aren't ideal for roasting and making homemade puree as it tends to be stringy but in my case it turned out fine (also this is my first time so I don't know the difference). It was not as sweet and lacked that rich orange hue. Pie Pumpkin is recommended. This is what i did to puree: - Cut pumpkin in half, scooped out the flesh (save the seed to roast it), cut them into wedges and roasted them at 375F for 45-60 minutes or until the skin shriveled and the pumpkin was fork tender. - I used a blender but using food processor is okay. Blend until smooth and add couple tablespoon of water in between if it starts to look dry. - If pureed pumpkin seems watery, use cheesecloth to strain extra water. Otherwise, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze it for later use.
If you guys are already pumpkinned out, I totally understand but it does not hurt to save or pin it for next year. Here are my favorites :
Pumpkin Muffins (I used 100% whole wheat and used only 1 cup of sugar). The boyfriend thought these were the best.
Pumpkin Mac n Cheese adapted from this vegan version but I used combination of nutritional yeast and part-skim mozzarella cheese. Also, I sneaked in some chopped spinach. Here's my another favorite mac n' cheese.
Stuffed Shells with pumpkin sauce and kale; sauce can be used to make pasta/spaghetti dishes.
Vegan Pumpkin Brownies for your sweet tooth.
I have used pumpkin puree in both sweet and savory dishes and it's time to put an end to this obsession..but before that I want to share few recipes from my favorite bloggers:
- What is taking me so long to make this Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Bar?
- Pumpkin Granola; Fall festivities in the form of breakfast or afternoon snack.
- These Maple Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars are perfect for Thanksgiving.
- Get Challah bread and treat yourself to Pumpkin Pie French Toast.
- Pumpkin Cornbread (Vegan, GF),Davida recommends making grilled cheese with it.
- I want to lick a bowl of pumpkin hummus. PS more hummus things.
- Pumpkin Gnocchi. If gnocchi is not your thing (you are missing out), stop by and congrats Joanne (the lady just got engaged).
- This Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treat looks very addicting.
- Get your green smoothie fix in the form of pumpkin pie.
- I have failed miserably with pumpkin pancakes & waffles before but these whole wheat pancakes look pretty promising.
- are you done with pumpkin yet? - best pumpkin thing you ate so far? Recipe links are more than welcome.
Only few more days to enter the Gourmet Gift Tower Giveaway ($63 value)!