Jumbo Cardamom Pistachio Muffins (whole wheat)
I saw it & I WANTED it..So Bad...like when you see something at a store, even though you don't really need it- you look at it, okay try it on too but.. you come home, regret a little because you could have totally had it and go back next day immediately because you've got to have IT. Sounds familiar?
Like love at first sight. I could not keep my eyes off it or stop thinking about the salty pistachio on a muffin flavored with Chai tea..I could not resist that thought.. actually no one should. You know what, just make it and you will understand what I am talking about.
Overjoyed by the thought of these muffins, it took me almost half way through the recipe to realize that I don't have Chai tea bags. Silly, I know I know.. but I am in love. You can't blame me for that. However, not having one of the main ingredient did not stop me. I was persistent..I had a good feeling about this one. Like true love kinda feeling.
I replaced Chai tea bags with heaping tablespoonful cardamom pods (cardamom powder would be better) because my idea of Chai tea is cardamom- lots of cardamom. But feel free to play with ingredients like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg - whatever defines Chai tea for you! Keep the pistachio because when combined with Chai tea ingredient - it will make one hell of a dream come true muffin. The luxurious aroma of cardamom was present all over my house and just from first bite into it-I could tell its a match made in heaven and that they are going to live happily ever after. The End.
Recipe adapted from Edible Mosaic
Cardamom Pistachio Muffins
Yields : 6 jumbo or 12 regular size
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk ( i used whole milk)
- 1/2 lemon
- little less than 3/4 cup regular sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup shelled, roasted salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a small bowl, pour milk and squeeze lemon juice and allow it to sit until needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom pods (or powder)
- Pour the remaining liquid ingredients in a bowl with milk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix them together.
- Scoop the batter into greased jumbo muffin pan (6 servings) or regular muffin pan (12 servings). May use paper muffin liners too.
- Sprinkle pistachios on top and bake for 15-17 minutes (may vary due to different oven) or until the tooth-pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and allow it to cool completely
If you have patience, go ahead and glaze it for extra umph factor.. For glaze - whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 2-3 teaspoons milk until it reaches desired consistency and drizzle over the muffins.
I personally liked it without the glaze but my boyfriend thought the glaze was fantastic. But again, he likes chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. So I will leave that up to you with or without glaze!