Black beans and mango combined with fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onions, and cilantro makes a flavor pack salsa, high in protein and plant-forward. This is a versatile recipe that can be served with chips, enjoyed as a salad or as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish.
The term “salsa” translates to sauce and can take many forms, including chunky pico de gallo, salsa rojo (red salsa) or salsa de aguacate (a creamy green salsa made with tomatillos and avocado). You can also add fresh ingredients such as corn, bell peppers, beans, mangoes, and pineapple.
To make black beans and mango salsa, it is relatively a simple and flexible affair. I do recommend a sharp knife and lots of fresh ingredients to make the black beans and mango salsa to your liking.
The black beans and mango salsa I am sharing today is a cross between a salsa and salad so it can be used in multiple ways:
- serve with chips as a starter
- as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish
- for lettuce wrap or on top of your salad greens
- bulk up the salad with cooked grains like quinoa or farro
I make a simple dressing using olive oil, lime juice, salt, and cumin to bring everything together. I’d recommend letting black beans and mango salsa marinates for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
You are going to love this black bean and mango salad all year long but I find myself reaching for it more in the Summer months. There is absolutely no cooking involved and you’ve got a flavor packed, healthy, versatile dish in 15 minutes or less.
The recipe I am sharing below makes 4-5 servings as a side dish but feel free to adjust the quantity/ingredients as needed.
Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- 15 oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups 2 cups diced mango (I used semi-ripe mango)
- 2 cups finely diced tomatoes
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 unit jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste
- chopped bell pepper & corn optional
- In a large bowl, add the rinsed black beans, and chopped fresh ingredients: tomatoes, mango, onions, jalapeno, cilantro leaves
- In a small jar, whisk olive oil with lemon juice, salt, cumin. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl with beans and mix everything well. Keep in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before serving.