Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup is an ultimate comfort food that combines creamy tomato soup with pillow-soft gnocchi. It is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly meal for both adults & kids.
You guys, the temperature dropped down to 40’s this weekend. It felt like full-on winter for a day or two and I liked it. We donned ourselves with scarves, jackets, and enjoyed endless bowls of Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup! It’s an ultimate comfort food that combines creamy tomato soup with pillow-soft gnocchi that can be made at home or bought from the store for convenience. Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup is an weeknight friendly recipe but can be reheated for later use too. The recipe I am sharing for tomato soup is vegan but the gnocchi is not. I will link a couple of gnocchi recipes that has worked well + few vegan suggestions for you to try this winter. Tomato soup is an easy soup thats requires a bit of love, good quality ingredients, and patience. I like a simple, creamy kind with rich tomato and mild basil flavor. If you have extra time on hand, go for the roasted tomato kind for more depth of flavor. I have managed to kill all my plants (see more on my post earlier), surprisingly, basil plants flourished and I was able to use the last of basil leaves this season. The addition of basil (in my opinion) truly makes a difference and I highly recommend you to not skip basil. If you cannot find fresh basil, frozen cubes work just as fine. Now moving on to the pillowy-soft heaven – gnocchi! Gnocchi are Italian dumplings typically made with potatoes and flour then boiled just until they’re fluffy little pillows of goodness. I have seen variations such as spinach, pumpkin, tomato, beets, and mushroom but I am keeping things classic today. The ingredients in gnocchi are very basic but making good gnocchi calls for some skills and good ratio of potato + flour + eggs. I have made gnocchi from scratch only a handful of times and it’s slightly gotten better and easier every time . Some gnocchi recipes for you to try:
- Homemade Potato Gnocchi (very detailed recipe with step by step pictures)
- Homemade Gnocchi (uses frozen mashed potatoes)
- Easy Vegan Recipes 4 Ways
- Gluten-Free Potato Gnocchi
….and you are not interested in making gnocchi for scratch, you can buy them store bought because you deserve a big bowl of Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup! I cannot wait for you guys to try Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup and share your creations with me using @foodpleasurehealth I absolutely love seeing them!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- pinch of sugar
- ¼ cup packed chopped fresh basil
- salt, pepper to taste
- about 16 oz gnocchi, uncooked (homemade or storebought)
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions saute for about 8-10 minutes, until very tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar, vegetable broth, and basil leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring the soup to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
- Remove from heat and use a immersion blender to puree the soup until creamy.
- In the meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to the recipe or package instruction.
- Add gnocchi to the tomato basil basil and serve it warm.
If soup is your thing for winter, you will LOVE these: