Healthy Chocolate Truffles are perfect bite-size dessert and healthier as it is made with cauliflower mashed potatoes. It is naturally gluten-free and vegan-friendly.
I have been eyeing this mashed potato truffles for a very long time. It’s just that I hardly ever make mashed potatoes…until recently I made cauliflower mashed potatoes. There was some leftover cauliflower mashed potatoes which was used for making these healthy chocolate truffles, which surprisingly works!!! Previously, I shared two other variations of truffles- Healthy Ferrero Rocher Truffles // Boozy Truffles because I love the idea of bite-size dessert in my fridge + it makes a lovely dessert for a party or as an edible gift this holiday season! The idea of using leftover cold, mashed cauliflower isn’t appetizing and I totally get it. When serving to a crowd, you should probably not announce that healthy chocolate truffles are made with cauliflower either; chocolate + cauliflower isn’t the most exciting combination. I promise you can’t taste cauliflower at all – it’s just chocolate through and through. Before you think I am crazy, try it out yourself and share it with your loved ones. I hope you (and your loved ones) will be pleasantly surprised as I was by these healthy chocolate truffles.
Talking about holiday gifts, did you do any shopping? I upgraded from iphone 5 to 7 finally but other than that, no shopping for me. I did share a Foodie Gift Guide Under $25 if you are looking for unique and usable gift ideas.
Healthy Chocolate Truffles are naturally gluten-free & can be made vegan; just you use vegan cauliflower mashed potatoes + vegan chocolate chips. Cauliflower mashed potatoes I made wasn’t vegan but you can easily sub vegan butter and dairy-free milk.
- Use plain cauliflower mashed for this recipe; so no garlic, herbs, or overpowering spices. I simply used butter, splash of heavy cream, and salt.
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes are slightly watery so you may need to add couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- It is not shipping friendly but can be stored for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Original recipe comes from Dessert for Two!
- ½ cup cold, plain mashed cauliflower (see notes for the recipe)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, I used dark
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- splash of vanilla extract
- instant coffee, unsweetened cocoa powder, nuts
- Melt chocolate chips in a double broiler or use a microwave at 30 seconds interval.
- Combine mashed cauliflower with melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract and mix it well.
- Leave it in the fridge for 30-45 minutes until it firms up.
- Roll about a tablespoon of cauliflower mixture into small balls.
- Roll balls into toppings of your choice. I mixed instant coffee powder + unsweetened cocoa together.
- Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Boil cauliflower florets (from 1 large cauliflower) head until tender. Use a potato masher or a food processor to turn them to resemble mashed potatoes like texture. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and stir in together. Add splash of heavy cream or milk as desired and salt to season.
Have you tried veggies for dessert before? I am still intrigued by this idea but I’d love to hear your thoughts.