Cucumber Mint Chia Fresca is an easy and flavorful beverage that keeps you hydrated and possibly help you with your soda/caffeine addiction!
My vacation in Nepal is soon coming to an end, which is always bittersweet. As much as I enjoy doing nothing but eat, sleep, and lounge all day, I kind of miss my routined life in the USA. And eating greens, smoothies, and working out. I probably could do all of this here but I am on vacation mode and everything feels different, which is why I am ready to be back. Talking about the routined life, just before coming to Nepal, I had started drinking Cucumber Mint Chia Fresca in the morning instead of tea and really enjoyed it. It’s refreshing, somewhat nutritious, and a wonderful alternative to plain boring water esp for Summer months. Cucumber Mint Chia Fresca is a variation of aquas frescas, which basically means fresh water in Spanish but it is typically sold as a blended fruit juice. Rather than the juice route, I soaked cucumber and mint to release the flavor..and squeezed lemon juice and stirred chia seeds right before drinking. Chia seeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seed and helps with hydration as it can absorb up to 9-10 times their weight in water. They are also good source fiber, protein, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and zinc among many other nutrients. But chia seeds when soaked in water gets all gelatinous, so it’s one of those you either like it or don’t. Also, they tend to get stuck in your teeth. I will leave that up to you as you can easily omit chia seeds. Cucumber Mint Chia Fresca minus chia is equally hydrating and something to consider if you are looking to up your water intake, help with your your soda/caffeine addiction, or just enjoy drinking it coz this stuff is good. And did i say inexpensive compared all the flavored chemical laden sugar-free crap? I like to make a big pitcher for couple of days depending upon how many cucumber or mint I have from my patio garden. There is really no recipe for Cucumber Mint Chia Fresca but I will give you a general idea on how I make it at home. You can use more cucumber than mint or vice versa. If you are not a big fan of cucumber or mint, some other ideas include: strawberry + basil, berries + mint, lavender + lemon, watermelon, thyme + blackberries.
- 2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves, rinsed
- 8-10 cups filtered water
- chia seeds and lemon as needed
- Place cucumber and mint in a heat proof container, preferably stainless steel.
- Boil water in a large sauce pan and pour it over cucumber and mint.
- Allow it to cool for few hours or overnight to extract their flavor.
- Strain the water and discard cucumber slices and mint leaves.
- Use a glass bottle or a container of your choice to fill cucumber mint water.
- To make cucumber mint lemon fresca, pour about 8 oz cucumber mint water and add 1 tablespoon chia seeds and ½ lemon juice. Add ice if needed and allow it to sit for few minutes till it gets gelatinous and enjoy.
If make-ahead homemade drinks are your thing, you should totally check out Iced Chai Latte!
What do you miss the most when you are on vacation?