Chicken Tikka Wrap, a quick, healthy, flavorful option for a weeknight dinner or lunch. Juicy chicken tikka pieces are tightly wrapped with delicious spread and toppings. Vegetarian, vegan alternatives available!
One of my goals for Food, Pleasure, and Health 2016 is to start “recipe videos” and as promised on Friday, it’s here! Chicken Tikka Wrap is an old recipe that I shared two years ago but it still remains an absolute favorite of mine and many others who have tried it. Since the recipe needed a little photo update, I just took this opportunity to create a video while I am at it. I hope you will enjoy the video and immediately run to your kitchen and make Chicken Tikka Wrap. This is one of those recipes that you keep going back to because it is pretty straightforward, flavorful, and quick. I am kind of nervous about publishing the video for the whole world to see. I’d appreciate your feedback/comments – be gentle please as I figure things out along the way. Enjoy/subscribe/Comment:
Chicken Tikka Wrap is a recipe where everything can be prepared in advance and assembled right before serving. Chicken needs to be marinated at least a few hours in advance but other than that everything comes together in 10 minutes or less. Chicken Tikka is a famous Indian style of cooking chicken; chicken pieces are marinated with spices and yogurt then baked in a clay oven called a tandoor. Since the tandoor is not very practical for most people, an oven, grill pan or outdoor grill can be used depending upon what you have available.
If a wrap is not your thing – chicken tikka slices can be added to your salad, quesadilla or pizza.
Feel free to use whatever wraps that suits you…but lately, I have been into Flatout Bread. When possible, go for the 100% whole wheat variety to get extra nutrients and fiber!
I think yogurt + mint chutney is the BEST spread for this wrap! You can buy it from the Indian store, make it at home or if it’s feasible for you at this time, simply mix yogurt with some cumin, lemon juice, salt, pepper as a spread.
For my pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan friends, my aunt follows this recipe using tofu, paneer, and/or fish and swears by it. If using tofu, make sure to drain/squeeze water and use extra firm tofu.
- For Chicken Tikka
- 1.5 lbs chicken thigh, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon chicken tikka masala (available at Indian grocery stores)
- 2-3 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt (regular yogurt works too)
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 tortilla, medium sized
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 medium tomato, thinly sliced and insides removed
- handful fresh cilantro
- mint leaves and chili chopped (optional)
- – In a medium bowl, combine chicken with salt, pepper, chicken tikka masala, yogurt, red chili powder and massage it well. Let it marinade for at least 5-8 hours covered in the refrigerator.
- – Heat about 1 tablespoon oil in a grill pan over medium heat. Arrange chicken pieces and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side making sure they are evenly cooked on both sides. Use the remaining oil to baste the chicken every minute or so.
- – Remove from heat and set aside. Let the chicken rest for 8-10 minutes before cutting.
- – Cut chicken pieces into strips or bite-size.
- – Warm the tortilla for few seconds if needed, then spread a thin layer of spread. Add chicken and top it with onion, tomatoes, cilantro.
- -Drizzle more spread and wrap it tightly.
- -Slice the wrap into half and enjoy.
I used an inexpensive grill pan (which needs to be replaced like today) but you can bake it in the oven @ 400F for 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Have a wonderful Monday…