It’s the end of the year and we’re taking a moment to reflect – The Recipe ReDux has been around for 54 months! To celebrate, we’re playing a little party game this month: Grab your nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 54 or 154!I don’t own a big collection of cookbooks but there are some cookbooks I refer to on a regular basis, one of which is “What to Cook and How to Cook It”. In between all the chocolate and indulgent things currently happening, I was so happy to see that page 54 had Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa & Bacon (which I omitted). This is one of those recipes you need to have in your back pocket so you can whip out something quick for lunch/brunch. I think it’s only natural this time of the year to reflect on things that happened in 2015 and start thinking about goals for 2016. I probably say this every year but the year 2015 just flew by. Even though not much has changed for me this year, I am thankful to be healthy and to be surrounded by good people. Hope 2016 will be even better and bigger than 2015! On the blogging end, things have been pretty steady. I am always learning something new and love the inspiring, positive and driven community of bloggers. That being said, is it normal to stop enjoying reading certain blogs? My feedly has 100+ blogs but there are some I don’t care for anymore. It’s nothing personal but either the blog has too many advertisements or the author’s voice has changed completely. Does anyone else feel this way? Do you unsubscribe them? So these Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa look not only adorable but are also pretty fluffy. They are speckled with scallions (or green onions), red peppers, and obviously corn, all of which are naturally flavorful and won’t require any other seasonings. It’s a pretty simple, one bowl, recipe that requires mixing all ingredients together and pan frying until cooked. Easy peasy right? They taste better when served fresh and hot but I didn’t find a huge difference when reheated later. They were still pretty damn delicious and I licked the plate clean. I am not into bacon so I skipped it but feel free to serve it on the side but the avocado, don’t skimp on it. It’s avocado common!!! But seriously, avocado salsa is very refreshing and adds a zing to the overall dish. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2 ripe avocados, cored and chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and chopped
- 1 large lemon, squeezed
- 1¾ cup self rising flour (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon baking powdr
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- scant 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1-15 oz corn, drained
- 2-3 tablespoon canola/sunflower oil
- salt and pepper, to season
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado, ½ scallions, ½ chili, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and set it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking power, salt. Add milk, eggs to the flour mixture and whisk it into a smooth, thick batter. Add corn, remaining chili and scallions to the batter and mix it well.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Take about 3 tablespoon of batter and slowly place it on the pan leaving it for about 1 minute on each side. The cake should look puffy and slightly golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter and enjoy it warm with avocado salsa.
**You can make your own self-rising flour by combining 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1½ teaspoons of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt
Sharing this as a part of Meatless Monday with Tina Muir, Confession of a Mother Runner, & Fit Foodie Mama.