So you are probably thinking, whats the deal with Raisin Bran Bread right. Blame it thank the Dallas weather for clearing up, I eventually got some motivation to get back to my Sunday drill-i.e. stocking up bread for the week.
I dig any cereal (in general) any time of the day for any meal but raisin bran! its the raisin that ruins it for me. I had mistakenly bought a box not too long ago, I swear I had tried to separate raisins from bran but boy, that needed some patience (one of many areas I lack). That got me thinking a little (i.e. searching on the internet) and I could not find a better way to use who knows how old raisin bran that had been sitting there into a fresh loaf..
Adapted from Kraftrecipes
2 cups raisin bran cereal
1-1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine, melted, divided
1 tbsp milled flax seed + 3 tbsp water or use 1 egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp brown sugar (may use regular sugar)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix mixed flax seed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix 1-1/2 cups of the cereal, the milk and 2 Tbsp. of the margarine in medium bowl. Let stand 1 minute.
- Add flax seed mixture and mix well. Stir in flour, baking powder and cinnamon until well blended. Spread into 9×5-inch loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup cereal, remaining 2 Tbsp. margarine and 2 tsp. brown sugar until well blended; sprinkle over batter. Gently press cereal mixture into batter.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack; remove bread from pan. Cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.
|1 cup of raisin bran has about 6 grams of dietary fiber! A Great Breakfast Cereal Bread|
Probably the first time I liked bran + raisin together, they go pretty well but only in bread ( I still have my issues with cereal). The bread was very moist and I am glad I used very little sugar because the raisin itself made it sweet. Sprinkling cereal and sugar on top added crunch to the bread. So if any of you have dislike for raisin bran cereal or have old or new box of raisin bran, give this bread a try and see it will change your mind!